Inclusion, Learning Support & EAL
The NIS community cares about each other and wants to influence for the better.
NIS is a truly inclusive school, and we embrace the individuality of every child. We welcome students of all abilities and backgrounds, providing a supportive and international environment for your child to grow in.
You will see learning that will amaze you, no matter what your child’s ability or challenge. Wherever you think your child might be in any subject or area, we will assure you that they will do better than you can ever imagine possible. Every child deserves to be amazed.
To help parents better understand their legal rights and responsibilities when it comes to finding the right school for their children, the Knowledge and Human Development Authority (KHDA) prepared a guide – Advocating for Inclusive Education. It’s designed to enable parents to become better informed and more confident as they navigate the best way forward for their children of determination.
Student Support Team (SST)
The Student Support Team is a proactive problem-solving approach to supporting students who are falling behind academically. The team determines the level of support a child needs or whether or not the child is eligible to receive special education services. The purpose is to design a support system aligned to the student’s specific area of need so that we can increase the success of the student in the curriculum and within the classroom.
Support for Students of Determination
The Inclusion Department provides support for children of determination (additional learning needs). Team members ensure that the academic, social, emotional and behavioral needs of all our children are being met.
The Student Support Team provides specialist support to students in various ways:
- Individualized Education Plans (IEP) that specify the structure of support, category of eligibility, the student’s areas of need and strength, and interventions and goals.
- Tiered levels of support based on the student’s response to interventions.
- Specialized in-class support and modifications that are tailored to the child’s individual needs.
- A variety of assessment methods to monitor performance and progress.
- Training and support for Learning Support Assistants.
- Regular communication between parents, teachers and the Student Support Team.
English As An Additional Language (EAL)
At NIS, English as an Additional Language (EAL) learning is offered to students who do not have English as their native language. In our EAL programme, English Language Learners (ELLs) are evaluated using the IDEA Online iPT English Proficiency Test, an assessment tool which gives an accurate proficiency placement level for a student. Pull-out interventions such as intensive English learning supports are given if English language levels are at beginner and early developing levels.
The key domains of language intervention are the reading, writing, listening, and speaking areas of development. English Language Development (ELD) and Sheltered Instruction (SI) are the two main models used in our EAL program. Sheltered Instruction targets the core content areas focusing on academic language development, while English Language Development (ELD) is designed to develop the English language proficiency levels, focuses on the following:
- Phonology: the sound system of English
- Morphology: the forms and formation of words
- Syntax: the rules and structure of the English language
- Semantics: the meaning of language, including vocabulary and academic language
- Language functions: the purposes of language use
- Pragmatics: the appropriate use of the English language in various contexts
If you think your child would benefit from additional support and you would like to find out more, the Student Support Team are always happy to meet with prospective and current parents. Please contact us to arrange an appointment.