NIS welcomes students of all abilities and backgrounds, providing an inclusive, supportive and international environment for your children.
NIS places students in age-appropriate year groups in accordance with KHDA guidelines. Kindergarten (KG) students registering for the 2017-2018 academic year must be four (4) years old by 31 December 2017.
The steps below provide an overview of the application process:
To begin the application process, please complete the NIS online enquiry form.
Below are the documents required for registration:
- Recent passport photograph
- Color copy of child’s passport (with visa, if applicable)
- Color copy of child’s Emirates ID
- Copy of child’s birth certificate
- Copy of child’s vaccination card
- Copy of parent’s passport, UAE residence visa, and Emirates ID (both parents)
- Copy of water or electricity bill OR apartment contract
- Copy of UAE family book (UAE Nationals Only)
- Copy of child’s last TWO school reports
- Transfer Certificate (attested, if outside UAE)
- Color copy of child’s birth certificate, with the attestation needed if the child is born in Asia or Africa
After completing the online enquiry, you will receive a call from the admissions department to book an assessment.
The assessment will assess the child’s competency and academic skill level. If the child is out of the country and unable to attend an assessment in person, a provisional acceptance based on previous reports is possible when the student has demonstrated notable academic performance. If a provisional placement is granted, the child is still required to complete the placement assessment upon arrival.
Following assessment, the file is forwarded to the Admissions Committee for review before a final admissions decision is made by the Senior Leadership Team. The process is typically completed within one week but may vary.
Once an admissions decision is made, possible outcomes include the student being:
- Provisionally accepted (based on reports alone)
- Conditionally accepted (with academic or social concerns to be monitored)
- Waitlisted (due to no seat, EAL and/or SEN support available)
- Denied admission (for academic or social concerns beyond the scope of American Curriculum)
If a student is granted full, provisional or conditional acceptance, an admission fee of AED 10% of school fees is required within 10 days from the date on the offer letter to secure the seat. This fee is non-refundable and is adjustable against the first term’s tuition fees.
KG students must undergo an informal individual or group assessment to identify the child’s academic ability and English language competency. During the assessment, parents may view the facilities, meet teachers, and ask questions.
For elementary, middle and high schools, we use the Measure of Academic Progress (MAP) online exam. MAP is a computerized test which helps teachers, parents and administrators improve learning for all students and make informed decisions to promote a child’s academic growth. For students who test below acceptable levels, parents must sign a letter to ensure additional support for the weak subjects. A non-refundable assessment fee of AED 500 is required.