Support for Students of Determination – The iCAN Team
The Nibras International School InclusionCenter for Academic Needs (iCAN) provides support for children of determination (special needs). iCAN Team members are also a part of the Student Support Team who ensure that the academic, social, emotional and behavioral needs of students are being met.
NIS’ iCAN Program provides specialist support to students in various ways:
- Individualized Education Plans (IEP) that specifies the structure of support, category of eligibility, student’s areas of need & strength, interventions and goals
- Tiered levels of support based on the student’s response to interventions
- Accommodation and modifications that are tailored to the student’s individual needs.
- Specialized in-class support.
- A variety of assessment methods to monitor performance and progress.
- Training and support for Learning Support Assistants
- Regular communication between parents, teachers and the iCAN Team.
English as an Additional Language (EAL)
At Nibras International School, English language learning is offered to students who do not have English as their native language. In the EAL programme, English Language Learners (ELLs) are evaluated using the IDEA Online iPT English Proficiency Test, an assessment tool which gives an accurate proficiency placement level for a student. Pull-out interventions such as intensive English learning supports are given if English language levels are at beginner and early developing levels.
The key domains of language intervention are the reading, writing, listening, and speaking areas of development. English Language Development (ELD) and Sheltered Instruction (SI) are the two main models used in our EAL program. Sheltered Instruction targets the core content areas focusing on academic language development, while English Language Development (ELD) is designed to develop the English language proficiency levels, focuses on the following:
- Phonology: the sound system of English
- Morphology: the forms and formation of words
- Syntax: the rules and structure of the English language
- Semantics: the meaning of language, including vocabulary and academic language
- Language functions: the purposes of language use
- Pragmatics: the appropriate use of the English language in various contexts
If you think your child would benefit from additional support and you would like to find out more, the iCan student support team are always happy to meet with prospective and current parents. Please contact us to arrange an appointment.